Flavorful and savory breakfast tacos stuffed with scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, sauteed red peppers, and topped with fresh avocado, then wrapped in a corn (or grain free) tortilla.
For years, I've always preferred sweet breakfasts. Pancakes, waffles, and smoothies have always been my favorites, because I like to start my day with a sugary boost (even though it may not always be the best for me!) But, I can still remember that I would LOVE to eat savory breakfast tacos whenever my parents made them for special occasions. Of course, this was back when I wasn't as sensitive to gluten or dairy, so the toppings were wrapped in flour tortillas and the eggs were scrambled with cheddar cheese. But- this version still retains the delicious main attractions (eggs and potatoes), while being more allergy friendly (and packed with a little more flavor!)
Oh man, my mouth is watering. Cooking is so much fun, because you can substitute/add in whatever you want! Since I typically don't eat red meat, I made mine vegetarian, but you could definitely add some bacon or sausage to these! You could substitute with scrambled tofu instead of eggs, or use corn tortillas instead of cassava. It's all up to you!
Sauteed veggie Breakfast Tacos
Yields: 4 Tacos (2 people)
4 Siete cassavaa-coconut tortillas, warmed in microwave
1-2 large Russet potatoes, washed
4 eggs (preferably organic and cage free)
1 red bell pepper, washed
1 ripe avocado
salt & pepper, to taste
optional: Sriracha hot sauce or "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning from TJ's
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. After washing the Russet potatoes, you can peel them with a vegetable peeler, but I didn't, for extra crispiness. Cut potatoes into cubes, and place evenly on a foil lined sheet. Drizzle with desired oil of choice, I used coconut oil but, olive and avocado work well also. Garnish with plenty of salt and pepper, plus a few sprinkles of Paprika. Place in ready oven and cook for about 25 minutes, just until crispy on the outside, but soft and tender on the inside.
2. While the potatoes cook, scramble the 4 eggs in a frying pan coated in coconut oil on medium heat. Garnish with salt and pepper. Set aside when finished.
3. Wash and thinly slice (in long strips) the red bell pepper. If you prefer, small dices or rough pieces will work as well. In another frying pan coated in coconut or avocado oil on high heat, sauté the bell pepper slices. Stir constantly, until the peppers are thoroughly cooked. Take off heat and set aside.
4. Slice a ripe avocado into cubes, and set aside.
5. Warm 4 Siete or corn tortillas on a griddle or briefly in the microwave. Top the tortillas with the scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, sauteed pepper, and fresh avocado. For extra spice, squirt a few small drops of Sriracha hot sauce onto tacos.
For extra saltiness, shake a small amount of EBTB seasoning from Trader Joes onto tacos.
Note: Siete tortillas are usually found at Natural Grocers or in the freezer Gluten Free section of HEB (I think they're also coming soon to Sprouts) If you can't find Siete near you, or you just prefer corn, corn tortillas (also gluten free) will also taste great.